Inside the National Trust takes a look inside some of the country's most treasured landscapes and buildings owned by the National Trust. The series is presented by Michael Buerk.
Runtime: 60 minutes
Inside the National Trust - Cleveland Trust Company Building - Netflix
The Cleveland Trust Company Building is a 1907 building designed by George B. Post and located at the intersection of East 9th Street and Euclid Avenue in downtown Cleveland's Nine-Twelve District. The building is an eclectic mix of Beaux-Arts, Neoclassical, and Renaissance Revival architectural styles. It features a striking glass-enclosed rotunda, a tympanum sculpture, and interior murals. In 1910, the Chicago school-style, 13-story Swetland Building was built adjacent to the east of the Cleveland Trust Company Building. In 1971, the Brutalist-style, 29-story Cleveland Trust Tower was built adjacent to the south of the Cleveland Trust Company Building. The Cleveland Trust Company Building underwent a significant interior renovation from 1972 to 1973, but closed to the public in 1996. Cuyahoga County purchased all three structures as part of the “Ameritrust complex” in 2005. In 2013, the Cleveland Trust Company Building was sold to the Geis Cos., which renovated it (and part of the Swetland Building) into a grocery store. The basement area of the former bank became a bar and nightclub. Much, although not all, of the Cleveland Trust Company Building's original interior architectural and interior design elements have been retained. The Cleveland Trust Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Inside the National Trust - 1972-1973 renovation - Netflix
On January 13, 1972, the Cleveland Trust Company Building was closed to the public in preparation for a major renovation. The renovation and refurbishment was designed by architect Montgomery Orr of the architectural firm of Frazier, Orr, Fairbanks, and Quam. Turner Construction was the general contractor, while Hoag-Wismer-Henderson Associates were the structural engineers. The outer wire-glass dome was covered with an opaque weatherproofing material, and the murals and the inner dome lit with an artificial lighting system designed by General Electric. The inner dome, which had a number of loose panes and was missing others, was repaired and regilded. All the offices on the upper floors were removed, and new, larger offices installed. These ranged in size from 5,600 square feet (520 m2) to 8,900 square feet (830 m2) in size. The flooring and arched supports on the upper levels were removed, and replaced with 1.5-inch (3.8 cm) Styrofoam blocks which were covered with a thin layer of concrete. The women's parlor and the tellers' cages were removed, but the tellers' cage bronze grilles were salvaged and reused for the new tellers' counters. The marble floor was retained, as were the embossed bronze brackets, and all gold leaf and gilt inside the rotunda repaired and cleaned. The clear glass of the large windows on Euclid Avenue and E. 9th Street were replaced with smoked glass. A modern air conditioning system was installed in the building, and the heating, lighting, plumbing, and telephone systems all upgraded. During the mechanical renovations, the old pneumatic tube, telautograph, central vacuum, and “artificial ventilation” systems were all rediscovered. Cleveland Trust Company officials said they hoped to have the renovation completed by March 1973. The building reopened on April 27, 1973.
Inside the National Trust - References - Netflix